What is an Upgrade to the Microsoft® Windows 7 operating system?
document provides the steps and information necessary to perform an
Upgrade to the Microsoft® Windows 7 operating system on applicable
VAIO® computer models. This process will take 1 - 2 hours to complete.
Upgrade installs the new operating system and migrates your user data,
settings and applications to the new environment. The hard drive is not
formatted in the process so your user data, files, settings and most
software applications should be available in the newly installed
operating system. However, it is still strongly recommended that you
perform a data backup (to an external drive or media, such as a flash
drive or DVD) to save desired files, such as documents, music and
pictures in case of unexpected data loss.When should I do an Upgrade?
An Upgrade is recommended
if the Microsoft® Windows Vista® operating system is currently
installed on your computer, and you would like to keep your settings
If your computer currently has the
Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system installed, you cannot do an
Upgrade. Instead, you must follow the Clean Install Instructions in order to install Windows 7.Additional Information
Get additional information from Microsoft about upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7.Table of Contents
STEP 1 - Getting Started
- STEP 1 - Getting Started
- STEP 2 - Install & Setup Windows 7
- STEP 3 - Install Sony® Drivers
print and carefully read this document before you begin. It is
recommended that you keep this document on-hand for reference while you
are installing Windows 7.
Backup your Data
- If you have not already, you will need to purchase a retail copy of the Windows 7 operating system. Use the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor tool to determine which version you can install.
- If you have changed the configuration of your computer, please review the Windows 7 system requirements provided by Microsoft to ensure compatibility.
While the Upgrade process does not remove current content such as
files, programs, etc. from your hard drive, unexpected data loss is
- It is strongly recommended that you backup
any data you want to save to an external drive or media, such as a
flash drive, Memory Stick® media or DVD.
- Go to the Drivers & Software page for your VAIO computer model.
- Select the version of Windows 7 you are installing from the "Operating System" drop-down menu.
- Download and save the following drivers to an external drive or media, such as a CD, DVD or Memory Stick:
- Chipset - Located under "Motherboard"
- Memory Stick
- Memory Card Reader/Writer
- Notebook Control Device - Located under "Notebook Control and Utilities"
- Sony Notebook Utilities
- Sony Shared Library - Located under "System Components"
- Wireless LAN
Please keep the external drive or media near by. You will need to install these drivers after you have installed Windows 7. STEP 2 - Install & Setup Windows 7
STEP 3 - Install Sony Drivers
- Turn on your computer. Make sure your computer is connected to an AC power outlet; do not use battery power.
- Make sure the computer has an active Internet connection.
- Insert the Window 7 disc that came with your retail version of Windows 7.
- Click "Run setup.exe" in the "AutoPlay" box.
- If the "User Account Control" appears click the Continue button, otherwise skip to step 6.
- Click "Install now".
- Click "Go online to get the latest updates for installation (recommended)".
Note: An active Internet connection is required for the installation process.
- At the "Microsoft Software License Terms" screen, read the license terms. If you agree, click "I accept the license terms".
- Click "Upgrade" at the "Which type of installation do you want" screen.
- Click "OK" at the "Install Windows" box to confirm the selection.
Upgrade Installation of Windows 7 begins. This process may take 1-2
hours to complete, please do not interrupt or power off your computer. Note: The computer will automatically restart once the
installation portion of Window 7 is complete. After the computer
restarts please continue to step 12.
- Enter the Product key at the "Type your Windows product key" screen and click "Next".
Note: The product key came with your retail copy of Windows 7. It is 25 characters long.
- Click "User recommended settings" at the "Help protect your computer and improve Windows automatically" screen.
- At the "Review your time and date settings" screen, setup your Time zone, Date and Time and then click "Next".
applicable, select your wireless network then click "Next" and continue
to step 16, or you can click "Skip" and go to step 17.
- Select the network location at the "Select your computer's current location" screen.
- The computer will now restart into Windows 7. Please continue with the "Install Sony Drivers" section below.
your computer may work with the drivers that come with the Windows 7
operating system, the following files are provided by Sony to improve
compatibility for certain functions. Copy and install the driver files to your computer:
IMPORTANT: It is strongly recommended that you install the files in the following order:
- Insert or attach the external media to which you copied the Windows 7 drivers you downloaded from the eSupport web site.
- Copy the files to a local directory on your computer.
- Install one file at a time.
- To install a file, double-click the file and carefully follow the on-screen instructions.
- Audio Driver
- Enables sound for the notebook speakers.
- Resolves the "PCI Device" or "Audio" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Enables the computer to connect to Bluetooth enabled equipment.
Resolve the "BCM2046 Bluetooth Device" or "UGX" error that may appear in Device Manager if the driver is uninstalled.
Enables the motherboard to communicate with other hardware devices.
Resolves the "SM Bus controller" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Enable use of Sony memory cards (e.g. SD (secure digital) cards).
Resolves the "Base System Device" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Memory Card Reader/Writer
Enable the use of external memory cards such as SD and MMC (secure digital/multimedia cards).
Enables to computer to use a dial-up connection.
Resolves the "Modem Device" or "High Definition Audio Bus" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Enables the computer to connect to a network.
Resolves the "Ethernet Controller" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Enables the computer to show an improved display / resolution quality.
Resolves the "Video Controller" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Enables connection with a wireless network and other wireless devices.
Resolves the "Network Controller" error that may appear in Device Manager.
Sony Shared Library
Required for other Sony applications (Notebook Utilities) to function correctly.
Notebook Control Device
Installs essential system components that enable Sony utilities (Notebook Utilities) to run properly.
Sony Notebook Utilities
Installs the VAIO software component required for Function keys operation.
Note: Even after installing this file, the Brightness, Monitor Output and Zoom Function keys may not work.
After the Sony drivers are installed, the Upgrade process for Windows 7 is complete. Optional:
Use the Microsoft Easy Transfer tool to migrate settings and files from another compute