You can use Migration Assistant to transfer your files and important settings from an older Mac to a new one.
To use Migration Assistant, both Macs must be FireWire-equipped or be connected to the same Ethernet or wireless network.
Tip: If you have a MacBook Air or MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008), make sure both computers are connected to the same Ethernet or wireless network.
Note: If you experienced issues while using some files or applications on your previous computer, you may not want to transfer those files and applications to your new computer. If you do, you may transfer issues or incompatible files.
To transfer files via Migration Assistant
1) Before performing migration, use Software Update on your older Mac to ensure you get the latest updates for Mac OS X.
2) If you're using a portable Mac, make sure the power cable is connected.
3) On your new Mac, open Migration Assistant, located in the Utilities folder in your Applications folder.
Screen shot 2010-05-07 at 7.12.05 AM.png
4) Read the Introduction screen, then click Continue.
5) If a dialog appears, type your admin password, then click OK.
6) In the Migration Method screen, select “From another Mac,” then click Continue.
Screen shot 2010-05-07 at 7.14.13 AM.png
7) If you are transferring via FireWire, connect a FireWire cable between your new Mac and your earlier Mac, then click Continue (skip step
If you are transferring via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network:
1. Make sure both computers are on the same local network, or connect them directly to each other with an Ethernet cable if both have an Ethernet port.
2. On the computer you are transferring files to, click "Use Network", then click Continue, then click "From another Mac".
3. On the Mac you are transferring from, open Migration Assistant, click "Use Network", then click Continue, then click "To another Mac".
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to connect the computers via a passcode and transfer files.
9) Select the hard disk and user accounts from which you want to transfer, and select whether you want to transfer applications, files and folders, or your Library folder.
10) Select whether you want to transfer your network, time zone, and Sharing settings, and then click Transfer.
11) When Migration Assistant is finished transferring files, click Quit.